Lucid Moon Studio

Monday, June 1, 2009

Photo Frustrations and New Beads!!

I love to take photos, but going through them, editing them, organizing them, and trying to upload them onto annoying sites like Facebook or Flickr almost isn't worth it! I spent the ENTIRE day yesterday trying to get the photos from our trip online! First I tried to upload them to Facebook...3 HOURS later it was finished, and I went to check them out and only HALF of EVERY single photo appeared! What the?? So then I had to spend 15 minutes deleting them all! Then I went to Flickr, which I thought would be a breeze...wrong. I downloaded the Flickr uploader tool to speed things up, but it would only let me choose about 40 photos at a time. After I selected them, edited them and got ready to upload them, the program crashed, and I lost everything. This happened more times than I care to mention. After, I don't know, 6 hours or so, I had most of them uploaded and started working on captions. That took about 3 more hours. Then when I went to look at the entire album, a whole group of photos was missing and a whole group was duplicated...anyways, some time around 1 a.m. last night I finally finished it all. Geez!! I guess it's my own fault for taking so many darn photos! I will be posting photos from our trip from time to time on here, but for anyone who has a lot of time on their hands, all 247 of them can be seen here:


Btw, that's only about half of all the photos we took!! Mostly of our dog, Cooper. I shudder to think how many photos I will take when I have a kid!

Anyhow, now that I have that rant off my chest...on to the good stuff! I lost track of all the bead stores we stopped at during our trip, but some I just browsed in and didn't buy anything (believe it or not!). Honestly some were really high priced. I stopped at 1 in Ashville, NC, but didn't buy anything, and then the second one that I was really looking forward to had just closed when we got there. Bummer. I visited the Beadbox in Boone, NC. They are not super big, but they pack a lot of good stuff into a small area. Of particular interest to me, was their nice selection of Elaine Ray beads.

My favorite bead store of the trip was Beads on Cannon in Charleston, NC. It was funny because when Mark dropped me off there, it looked like a very tiny shop on a random side street. I groaned and said, "Wait for me to run in and check it out, it might not even be worth it...". What a surprise...it was huge! It is 2 stories high, and the upstairs has the largest selection of bead strands I've ever seen in a bead store! I came out and told Mark to pick me up in a few hours. I thought their prices were very reasonable...I only wish I had a bigger budget to spend there!

I had already been to the bead stores where we stayed in OH and PA, so I didn't visit them again. I stopped at one last bead store in Savannah, GA, called Bead Dreamer Studio. This was a massive store as well, but by this time, I barely had any money left to spend on beads! They had a wonderful selection of vintage beads and custom made clasps, but most of it was too expensive for my budget. I did manage to pick up a few neat items though. Oh, and their selection of chain was amazing! I was overwhelmed by how many choices they had.

I swear I bought 4 Elaine Ray round beads, but I could only find 3...Cooper!!

Neat rustic rough clay beads, cool owl clay beads and a laser cut wood pendant all from Beadbox


I always have a hard time finding sea turtle stuff, so I was happy to come across these. The turtle on the top left is from Beadbox. The two turtles on the bottom left and the carved wood bead on right are all from Beads on Cannon.

Copper dragonfly charms and bone dragonfly beads from Beads on Cannon

Lots of juicy bead strands from Beads on Cannon. From left to right: Peach candy jade, purple and turquoise mosaic magnesite, tiny red ceramic hearts, fancy jasper, mud jasper, garnet chips, silverleaf jasper, and Indian crow glass

Vintage Japanese cabs from Bead Dreamer Studio

Yummy candy colored czech glass beads from Bead Dreamer Studio

Now it's time to go label them and add them to my growing collection!

8 comments:

Marbella Designs said...

oh, how lucky, those beads are fab
funny, i too was going thru all my photos last night and getting them sorted, etc. i hate loading photos. it can take hours to do it all, ugh!

FunkyMonkey Girls said...

Yumminess, lucious beads and I can relate to photos. I still
have to learn to update/edit/fix them on this computer for the Etsy site. Proably in a couple of weeks cause I will be decorating my new house:)

Funky Monkey Girl,
Jolene

kelleysbeads said...

Awesome finds! I always load up on cool strands and lots of silver clasps from Bead Dreamer Studio. I'm a little jealous you saw them because it feels like forever since they have come to Atlanta in a bead show!

Tammy and Rob said...

What great finds! I too love to stop in all bead stores when we are traveling, it is so much fun!

SharonP said...

You made out like a bandit! Love all those beads--you have great taste!

SummersStudio said...

What fun! Does this mean you will be a jewelry making machine over the next few months?

Mellisa - Chinook Jewelry said...

Fantastic stuff :) Lucky you to do all that bead shopping! All your adorable turtles remind me that I've been ignoring my turtle pendants- I'll have to include some in my next kiln load!

Lucid Moon Studio said...

Thanks for all the comments! Yes, I need to be a "beading machine" now!

Mellisa - I would love to see your turtle pendants!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin