Lucid Moon Studio

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

It was bound to happen.

 I realized at some point a few months ago that by deciding to train for my first marathon, other things were going to have to go to the wayside.  Well, basically everything but running went to the wayside!  Despite all the hard work, injuries, aches and pains, I’ve really been enjoying this new venture!  I have a great group of runners that I train with, and I don’t think I could have done the training as well as I have without them. We have been meeting approx. 6 days a week, averaging 8 miles a day with 1 long run of 15-20+ miles for an average of 55-60 miles a week.  We are 5 weeks out from the marathon, and the next 2 weeks are going to be the hardest yet, then we taper for 3 weeks, which means we cut our mileage way down and rest our legs so that we are fresh and recovered for marathon day.

I have struggled with a lot of guilt about not having time to work on jewelry, and I feel bad when I see magazine deadlines wiz by me and fun contests/challenges that I can’t participate in.  But I have realized that if you want to excel at something, you really have to give it your all, which usually means no time for other things.  I am really looking forward to getting back into jewelry making and crafty things after the marathon though.


The good news is that my running and training is already starting to pay off.  I have improved my 5K-race time by 4 minutes from last year, and just this last weekend I ran my fastest 5K race of my life!  My goal since I started running again about 7 years ago has been to run my high school times again.  You have no idea how much harder it is to do as you get older!  This last weekend I finally beat my fastest high school time by 3 seconds.  Now I have to wonder, “How much faster can I get?”  I am training much harder than I ever did in high school, so it’s possible I can get even faster.  I am excited to see how fast I can get.  I am 3 years from the big 4-0, and I think I am going through a pre-midlife crisis by trying to relive my high school cross-country days!  Oh well, at least it’s a healthy activity.

So, that’s what has been going on with me since I’ve been absent from the blogging community.  Since I don't have any new jewelry to share, I thought I would share some photos from my recent races.

Turtle Krawl 5K - September 18, 2010

Turtle Krawl Awards.  That's my hubby, Mark, behind me to the right.  He was the race director of the race and helped coordinate everything on behalf of the Sea Turtle Preservation Society (STPS).  The race was a smashing success!

My next race was the Pirate Plunder 2-miler on October 2nd, which I ran in costume.  It is not easy to find a costume condusive to running a race!

I thought it would be cool to have my eye patch on when I crossed the finish line, but I quickly changed my mind, and so my photo is of me trying to rip it off! 

I came in 3rd overall female and received a pirate hat, eye patch, sword and a message-in-a-bottle award!  My costume is complete!

The next race I ran was the Chain of Lakes 5K on October 17th.  This race was more like a cross-country race through the grass, over bridges and around lakes (with alligators!).  Another fun race, and it was actually a little cooler for once.

 Receiving my award

All the local runners together with our awards

The most recent race I've ran was this last Saturday evening, the Witch Way 5K.  In the past, I have dressed up, but I didn't have time to put any thought into a costume, plus it was too hot, so I just went as a runner.  Fortunately Cooper got into the spirit and dressed up as Cooperman!  Or Superdog...not sure which.

 Crossing the finish line in my record time.

 It was all worth it to get a congratulatory kiss from my little superhero!

Receiving my award from "Sue Sylvester" of Glee!

My next race is this Saturday, October 30th, and it is the Ghostly Ghecko 5K.  I plan to run this one in costume, and Mark and Cooper will be volunteering on the course in costume as well.  I will post photos from that soon!  So, I hope you enjoyed my blog post, even if it was completely unrelated to jewelry...at least now you know what I've been up to :)

I leave you with a photo of me and my superhero puppy from last year's Halloween race:





9 comments:

Barbara Lewis said...

Lisa, With your health regimen, you're going to live to be 100, which leaves plenty of time for jewelry! I admire what you're doing and the discipline you're exhibiting. Way to go!

kelleysbeads said...

I am still in total awe of your running. Good for you for sticking to your training plans and working toward that marathon goal!

Love the pics of Cooper dressed up and your pirate costume was pretty cool, too :D

lunedreams said...

go you! i'm so impressed! yes, watching things go by the wayside while you throw yourself into something else is hard. but giving yourself permission to be finite, with finite time, is a great life skill! just think of all the pent up creativity you'll have when you start up with your jewelry again, and chiseled quads to go with it!

SummersStudio said...

Lisa, I love hearing about your training. Life is not all jewelry :-). My neighbor runs two marathons a year and does a triathalon. When he is training, that's all there is in life. It's what you have to do. You should be so proud of yourself! Cooperman the wonder dog is gorgeous.

Nicki said...

Ok, I need to say this:
a) I am impressed, deeply impressed of your discipline
b) You look so good, in such perfect shape
c) This superwoman / superdog costume is the hottest.
d) no matter how long you keep running, we will still be here and wait for your next jewelry, so take your time.
Good luck for the race.

Courtney said...

Congratulations to you! This is something to be very, very proud of.

sundownbeaddesigns said...

Such is life...sometimes we have to prioritize which means other things temporarily take a back seat. Running a marathon is a huge accomplishment. Can't wait to hear about it. Good Luck!

Mellisa said...

Congratulations on all the races and good luck on the upcoming marathon...you ARE superwoman!

Layney Dasher said...

Wow - that is awesome - you are in such good shape!

TWO THINGS - mentioned you on the blog today! Beacuse of you, I submitted to Bead Trends, and I have a necklace in the November issue! Thanks for encourgaing me!

And second, there is a Melbourne bead show on November 6th and 7th - I am planning on attending, so if you are in the area or going - it'd be good to see you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin